Dear Choir Families,
A warm thank you to those of you who attended our Parent Orientation meeting this past Saturday. For those who were unable to attend, here is a summary of what was discussed:
PARENT ORIENTATION SUMMARY – September 2016
Structure of the Choir
- Our choir is run by three paid, part-time staff and governed by a volunteer board of directors. We are a registered non-profit organization.
- We are proud to offer professional, high quality instruction, at a cost well below that of other choirs. Our goal is make the choir accessible to all members of our community, including offering bursaries where needed.
- As a non-profit, the board must balance the budget. Fees only cover half of our costs; the rest must be made up through fundraising, grants, donations and corporate sponsorships.
- We ask that parents and families support the choir by attending performances and getting their children to rehearsal on time every week.
- Notify the choir at mimicochildrenschoir if there is an unavoidable absence.
- We rely on parents to volunteer and contribute where they are best able, with any of the following: securing personal and corporate donations, volunteering your time at rehearsals and performances, offering a service such as printing, graphic design, marketing, selling tickets, etc.
- The choir is a team. Everyone is needed at every rehearsal and performance.
- Performances are mandatory and the culmination of our work together. Please plan to attend all performances and always let us know well in advance if you cannot attend.
- Please review the Chorister Guidelines on the choir website.
How you can help support the Choir
- Fundraising – The board of directors cannot do it alone. Do you know any companies you could approach for donations? Does your own company offer grants or have a donation-matching program? Can you help us find sponsors and corporate grants? Please get in touch with us if you have any ideas! mimicochildrenschoir
- After school snack – in order to continue to offer an after school snack, we need choir families who can help with any of the following tasks: purchasing and preparing food, serving and cleaning up after snack.
- Board of Directors – we are always looking for new members. Even if you are new to choir, we are would be happy to hear your insights and suggestions on how to keep the choir thriving.
- Marketing – can you help with any promotions-related activities?
Performances and Event Dates
- An email with a list of all current concert dates will be sent by September 30, 2016.
- Key October dates:
o Choir Camp Day:
Saturday, October 15, 9:45 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Mimico Baptist Church
A team-building day of fun, musical activities, craft, pizza lunch and rehearsal of new songs. All choir members are expected to attend. Please let us know if your child cannot attend so that we can properly plan for food and supplies.
o Fundraising Concert for Mimico Baptist Church:
Saturday, October 22, 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Mimico Baptist Church
This church has been our home for almost 10 years, and their plan to build a new accessible foyer will be a wonderful benefit to the choir as well as the church. We’re supporting this initiative and showing our thanks by performing in this fundraising concert.
Community Engagement Manager
Mimico Children’s Choir
2016-2017 Season GOLD SPONSORS
Sponsorship Opportunities still available!